In 1924, The Standard Bread Company emerged on Gladstone Avenue in Ottawa’s Little Italy.
It was the « Roaring Twenties ». Cecil Morrison built the bread factory after searching for a location that would position his business closer to the city limits. Shortly after opening, the Standard Bread Company’s stocks rose dramatically.
The fact that it was built during a period when Canadian wheat was booming in international markets, and industrialism and private businesses were soaring, meant that Morrison could proudly adorn his building with the Latin proverb: Audaces Fortuna Juvat, meaning Fortune Favors the Bold. (The plaque is still there, on the outer brick wall close to the steps of the building.)
Bread was sold from the warehouse and delivered across the city and beyond by horse and wagon. (The factory owners housed the horses and wagons at the back of the building, and used the third floor as a hayloft.)
On the insistence that its loaf of bread was bigger than any other Ottawa bakery’s, the « Mother loaf » became the signature of the Standard Bread Company. The management maintained a strong advertising campaign and set up branches in Montreal and intitiated plans for Toronto.